How To Hire A Contractor the Safe Way
Hiring somebody to work on your property is difficult. They should care about doing your project the right way. The Attorney General of Illinois lists construction and remodeling contractors as the third most complained about industry.
Basics to Hiring the Right Contractor
- Always get estimates in writing, and sign a contract before any major work is done to your property!
- Always ask who will be doing the work! Some contractors do it themselves, while others pay a percentage to another crew to do the work. This can spell trouble, so investigate the crew they use.
- Proper installation is key, and this is attained by making sure each team member knows the best practices. Even the best materials in the world require proper installation to be effective. It’s not what you pay, it’s what you get for your money.
- Ask to see Illinois roofing license. Call their insurance company to make sure they have workers compensation. Check their license at www.idfpr.com. If your property is commercial, make sure their license is unlimited!
- Test their knowledge. If you have any questions, ask and note any discrepancies! Some things conflict with each other so do your homework.
- Investigate! Ask your neighbors, friends, and co-workers if they’ve heard anything about your contractor.
- Ask for references or pictures of previous work. Ask how many similar projects they’ve completed.